BREWER IN OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
Education: Technical degree or industry experience
Location: OKC Taproom at 8th Street Market - Oklahoma City, OK
Job Type: Full Time
Prairie Artisan Ales is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled brewer to join our team. This position will be head brewer for our Prairie OKC location which features a brewery and taproom in downtown Oklahoma City and has become the face of the Prairie brand. The Oklahoma City location has a 3bbl system that allows us to create new beers and experiment with new ideas. This allows us to keep the brand fresh and ahead of trends. Located in the Automobile Alley district of downtown OKC, this facility features a 100 seat taproom and artist’s work space allowing our fans insight to all things Prairie Artisan Ales. Our location is blocks from the home of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and situated between all of OKC’s most popular entertainment districts. This is an exciting opportunity to work for an internationally recognized brewery. Our main brewery is a 50bbl production facility about 2 hours southeast of Oklahoma City that currently supplies beer to the 35 states and 30 countries. We have made our name with big stouts and interesting farmhouse ales. We have been on ratebeer.com’s list of the top 100 breweries in the world for the past five years and currently three of our beers are on their list of the top one hundred beers in the world. Prairie Bomb! has been on the list ever since it was released back in 2012.
Preferred Brewing Specific Skills:
- 2+ years commercial brewing experience strongly preferred, as a brewer, preferably at a brewery with comparable unique, interesting and boundary pushing beers.
- Ability to create new, unique recipes and or processes on demand, as well as produce existing recipes to exacting specs with strict adherence to established SOP provided by the Brewmaster.
- Experience with barrel filling, blending, and racking. Experience with mixed culture fermentation and Kettle Souring.
- Yeast harvesting and management.
- Raw ingredient and supplies ordering/receiving/inventory and management.
- Ability to maintain equipment and keep a clean working environment.
- Prioritizing and focusing on multiple tasks environment.
- Meticulously maintain comprehensive and accurate daily records.
- Self-motivation and ability to work with limited amount of direction and supervision.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team to accomplish goals.
- Make critical decisions independently with exceptional problem solving skills and own the results.
- Fermentation Management and daily tracking
- Knowledge of brew house operations including keg washing, keg racking, bottling, bottle conditioning, fermenter, brite tank and serving tank cleaning/sanitation.
- Experience with cleaning chemicals & MSDS sheets
- Experience using Orchestrated Beer strongly preferred but not required
- Willingness to and ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent attendance & timeliness.
- A creative thinker with a strong drive to keep learning. Possess the work ethic, organizational skills, mechanical aptitude and passion to push the boundaries in every possible way.
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs. and perform strenuous work all day. Prolonged standing, climbing, bending, and kneeling is often required.
- Mechanical aptitude. Respect for top quality equipment & tools.
- Familiarity with material handling equipment (pallet jack, forklift, hand truck).
- Ability to perform tasks with little or no supervision.
- Strong people skills and a desire to share knowledge during tours and public events.
- Must have a passion to make really great beer!
We offer competitive pay and a very impressive benefits package which includes fully paid health, dental, life, short term disability and long term disability insurance. We also have paid leave and a retirement plan.